Thursday, September 6, 2012

Have you been to California?

So, we've been living it up in California for exactly 5 weeks and 1 day. I told many a person in Utah that moving would finally give me motivation to keep up a blog. Well, that and having a baby and buying a nice camera. So far the baby and nice camera haven't made an appearance, but I feel the urge to share what's been going on in these here parts anyway.

First of all, leaving Utah didn't hit me for reals until I had to say "good bye" to our apartment, oddly enough. So many memories. So sad to leave family, work, our ward, the beginning chapter of life together. While it may sound weird, there is nothing like knowing how much you will be missed, and everyone let us know. Two major lessons learned in the leaving: 1) Be sure to appreciate where ever you are as much as possible while you are there. Don't wait till you leave. 2) Don't underestimate the ability you have to affect people's lives. (I don't mean that in a "oh my gosh, I am SOOO awesome" way. More in the "what I say to, and do for, others matters more than I realize" way.)

If I were to make a list of all the things that have gone right for us in moving to California, you would get bored after a while, because it's that long. So while it is obvious this is the right place to be in life right now, I miss me some Utah. I hope to be saying the same thing about California in four years. Until that time, I'll just enjoy having my BFF living 5 minutes away, lots and lots of shopping, and some never ending smog.

On to the good stuff:

"Dr." Earl and I at his White Coat Ceremony

Matt officially started school on August 13th. He is going to Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona. It is a D.O. school (Doctor of Osteopathy). Most medical schools are M.D. (Medical Doctor) schools. The major difference between the two is Matt has some extra classes that deal with musculoskeletal manipulations. You would never know the difference between an M.D. or a D.O. unless you looked at the letters at the end of their name. So far, Matt wants to be an E.R. doctor.

We live in a condo in Claremont, which is just north of Pomona, about 30 miles east of L.A. Claremont is known for the Claremont Colleges, and is very quaint and cozy little town. Think tree-lined streets and vintage-y houses. We love it. 

The front door of our condo. Notice the orange tree to left. Matt is very proud of it.  

We have not had any major adventures here yet. Matt studies and studies and studies, and he is doing well, so I have no complaints. I am waiting around for baby Charlotte to come. I would prefer to be teaching a classroom full of fifth graders while waiting, but you can't everything you want. Boo-hoo, I get to sleep in every day, read books, hang with Saige, and worry about things like cleaning the house and making dinner. It's a rough life, I tell ya. 

Till next time...

Post Title Inspiration Found Here




 

1 comment:

  1. aw! looks like you are adjusting well! can't wait to have ice cream with you next summer!

    ReplyDelete